Aquafragma Limited designs and builds the self-operated barrier for flood, spill and other protection. The patent rights belong to Dion. Toumazis & Associates with whom Aquafragma Limited has an agreement.
Aquafragma is a patented work for flood protection (patent serial number GB2514879).
Complete patent documents:
How it works
Gate normally rests flat with pavement above a buoyant body. The gate and the buoyant body are hinged so that on rotation to two bodies move away from each other. When hydrostatic pressure develops, the buoyant body forces the gate to rotate upwardly and the gate turns upright position automatically before flood reaches pavement level.
Astonishingly robust & powerful
- The skeleton is made of aluminium profiles.
- The voids are filled with polystyrene.
- The wetted surfaces are made of composite aluminium plates.
Aquafragma in action
Patented self opening flood barrier
1. Normal position
- Barrier is hidden
- Any traffic can pass over the hidden barrier
- It is securely locked and it is self unlocked before activation
2. Module starts filling with water
- In minor events the barrier will not rotate. Water drains back to the drainage system
- It requires no power, no human intervention and no moving parts
3. Safety gate rotates
- It is automatically activate when the water is filling up the middle
4. Flood gate starts rotating
- The flood gate will turn gradually as flood level rises and it will reach upright position before the flood reaches grade level
5. Premises are now fully protected
- A safety gate protect / fences the opening left on the pavement
How it works
More info about the barrier
Full protection achieved before flood reaches pavement level
The barrier is self-operated, requiring no power or human intervention. The gate turns to upright position just before flood water reaches the protected area thereby.
- It requires no side walls
- It requires no threshold/step
- It is trafficable up to the ultimate instant
How it is built
The barrier is made of modules that can be designed to any width and height to fit any type of opening through which flood water may pass. All material used is durable, such as aluminium, plastic and stainless steel. The skeleton consists of robust structural components that can withstand loads from traffic and flood. The voids are filled with light weight materials which allow it float and therefore lift automatically.
Check out our brochures
How it works
Protect your premises from flood with Aquafragma
We will respond within one or two days providing you with a proposal, which will contain our suggestions and advice